I work with lots of new clients and help them to decide on floor plans, budget and things they must have when building a new house. A few years ago I worked for a building company, then had a break and went on The Block, and this year I’ve come back full circle to work with a building company again. It’s the best job. I love every bit of it!
But when you do set out to build a new home there are so many things to think about! Today I thought I’d write a list about some things not to forget when building a new house. You don’t have to have everything on this list, but at least it may help you tick off what’s important and what’s not. Plus I bet you have things in your home I haven’t thought of. I love hearing about little tips and tricks people discover which make their lives easier!
- Soft close drawers
- Pot drawers
- Power points in a pantry for jug/toasters
- Pantry light on motion sensor
- Pull-out garbage
- Powerpoints on the side of an island bench
- Food waste in the sink
- Position of the kitchen when bringing in groceries
- Are they away from noisy living areas?
- Do you have blockout blinds for sleep?
- Will you charge devices at night?
- TV consideration
- Bed placement
Wardrobes and Linen
- Think about double hung rods for jeans, pants, shirts. Tall single rods too to accommodate long clothes and dresses.
- A full size cupboard in the laundry room for a vacuum, broom and ironing board.
- Consider a walk-in-linen because you can never have enough storage!
- Where will you store the stuff you only use every now and then? Like the Christmas tree and suitcases? Or the tubs of artwork and baby clothes you’ve been saving?
- Powerpoints for hairdryer, straighteners and even one inside a drawer to charge electric toothbrushes or shavers
- Heated towel racks
- Recessed niches in showers for holding toiletries
- Shower-head height
- Heated floors or ducted heating
- Think about the position of your tv (up high)
- Several near the eaves for Christmas lights (with switch).
- Exterior of garage (for washing/cleaning tiles or paths with a pressure washer)
- Charger area for phones (add a USB outlet)
- Consider a deep freezer
- Microwave/jug/toaster/juicer (so make sure you have lots in there if you have a walk-in-pantry)
- Charging station for handheld vacuums
- Ceiling fan or add ducts on a zone from your inside air-conditioning
- Outdoor taps in various locations (you’ll need more than one)
- Flood light outside
- Gas connection for a BBQ
- TV point and power
- Irrigation system
- Consider ceiling fans with built-in lights and a remote control
- 2-way switches in hallways (especially for kids outside their rooms)
- Powerpoints for lamps
- Pendants over kitchen island or even for over bedside tables
- Consider solartubes for areas with low light
- Consider being able to turn off lights once you’re in bed
- Dimmer switches
- Heating/cooling options (maybe in-floor heating)
- The width of your hallways
- Ceiling heights
- Corince (standard or square-set?)
- Cavity doors vs swinging doors
- Wardrobe doors (swinging or sliding)
- You can never have enough storage!
Have you got any other items you’d add?