On my facebook chat group last week, a friend of mine asked about power points in the new home she’s building. There was a lot of great advice over there, so I thought I’d put a blog post together to help if you’re also building (or renovating) a new house. If you think of some places power points should go then feel free to let me know in the comments below and I’ll add them in!
(photo via here)
- Lamp position (console or floor)
- Vacuum point
- Think about the position of your tv (up high)
- Any gaming devices like xBox or Foxtel boxes (can you hide them?)
- Christmas Tree?
- Back porch/deck
- Up high for mounted tv
- Several near the eaves for Christmas lights (with switch).
- Exterior of garage (for washing/cleaning tiles or paths with a pressure washer).
- Side of island bench
- Back of splashback (if you can’t cut your splashback and don’t like that look then place them on the sides or even up under your wall mounted cabinets)
- Charger area for phones
- Deep freezer? Or fridge?
- Microwave/jug/toaster/juicer (so make sure you have lots in there if you have a walk-in-pantry)
- Charging station for handheld vacuums
- Washing machine/dryer
- Extra to use as a charging base for any appliances
- USB chargers
- Power for modem, external hard drives to charge, printer, lamps
- 2 doubles per computer (think about their position, can you have them under bench to hide all cords?)
- Behind each side table ( 2 x doubles per room)
- Behind a dresser area
- TV position? Possibly up high if you’re mounting it
- Vacuum point
- In vanity drawer for hair dryer/straightener.
- In medicine cabinet for electric toothbrush and razor
- Heated towels rails?
Ok, that should cover most! Have you got any other ideas? I’d love to add to them to the list.