Love love LOVE modern American farmhouses! So much character and charm. Much more so than the homes we build here in Australia. The farmhouse is a quintessential American feature and a tradition of southern living in the states. I would love to see more of this style of home on our shores – the homes look so cozy and warm! Farmhouses have the perfect blend of tradition and modern comforts. I have seen them popping up in Australia though. A few have been saved to my “one day” book!
Here are some modern Farmhouses that caught my eye –
What features define the modern farmhouse?
• Generally Farmhouses have gabled roofs, with double or opposite pitches.
• Use of natural materials such as stone, timber, cladding to add warmth and character. Aluminium windows are a must.
• Lighter, neutral tones are most popular, but as you can see from the pictures above, darker colours are quite striking.
• Wide wrap around verandahs, feature windows, patio and porches are all common features of Farmhouses.
• The roof is constructed from shingles and chimneys are exposed.