There’s no need to struggle with a stuffy nose and congestion this winter when you make your own natural vapour rub. Free of toxins too!
Until recently I used store bought vapour rubs like everyone else, until I started reading about what was in those jars/sticks. I don’t know why I let my kids use those products when I could make my own natural vapour rub which would last a long time. Twice this week my husband and my youngest kid used it and said THIS IS GOOD. So, there you go! It does the trick. No stuffy noses, can breathe at night and is not harmful to your skin (or nasal cavity).
The ingredients I bought would make a life time supply of vapour rub! So, you can also make a body/lip balm (recipe here). You only need to buy small amounts so check the grams when purchasing.
Kmart have digital scales for $12.
I bought the ingredients from a shop that has now closed unfortunately. I suggest you look for all of these products via eBAY store like this one.
Ingredients for natural Vapour Rub
- 45g fractionated coconut oil (I use doTERRA)
- 20g coconut oil
- 15g shea butter
- 8g beeswax
- 30 drops of EASY AIR essential oil (combination of eucalyptus, tea tree, peppermint, and lemon from doTERRA because they are 100% pure and safe)
- small jar, tin or pot
- Add fractionated coconut oil, coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax to a glass bowl and heat in the microwave until completely melted. Heat in short bursts on low, stopping and stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add essential oils and mix until combined.
- Transfer to small jar, tin or pot.
- Place into the freezer to set – this will reduce the chance of graininess developing over time.
Once set, dab under nose or rub on chest to help reduce congestion and start breathing well again.
TIP – also good for a snorer before bed time!
Use less essential oil if you’re using on babies.
If you’d like to see more recipes go here, or if you’d like to get started with essential oils then pop over here.