Here in Wagga we’re swimming in smoke from the bushfires all around us. Some days are terrible, and we can’t even open the doors, let alone be outside for longer than a few minutes. I know this is happening everywhere and may continue for some time.
Today I thought I’d give you a few tips on how to clear the air (not only for better breathing, but to clear the smell)…
How to clear smoke from inside your home
- Wet some towels, soak in vinegar, wring out and put them on a clothes-horse in front of a fan and let the air travel through. This works!
- Simmer spices such as cinnamon sticks and cloves in a pan of boiling water on the stove (even add some apples). The smell of the spices will quickly get rid of the smoke odours.
- Turn on your exhaust fans to suck up the smoke. Use the extractor above your rangehood and even turn on your bathroom exhaust fans.
- Spin a wet towel around in the room.
- Use water diffusers to clear the air with added 100% pure essential oils (do not use oils bought from a general store). I’ve had 6 going in my house this week (it’s been that bad!). My kids have needed them in their rooms at night to help breathe better.
- Put a few plates in the room and add vinegar and some cucumber slices. In a few hours the smell is completely gone!
These methods will also work to help clear any nasty smells in your home fast.