Here’s a general guide on how many drops you can use in your doTERRA diffusers.
Filling Your Diffuser
- Use clean, room-temperature tap water. Make sure the water level does not exceed the water mark.
- Add 5–12 drops of doTERRA essential oils. You can add more oil for a stronger scent. Experiment with the amount of oil you use and find what works best for you.
Quick-Clean after Each Use
- Make sure to unplug your diffuser prior to cleaning.
- When removing excess water from the water tank, pour from the rear of the diffuser to avoid spilling on the operating buttons.
- Clean the inside of the water tank and the outside of the diffuser with a small amount of neutral detergent cotton cloth or a small foam brush. Avoid using any harsh cleaners on your diffuser.
- Rinse and dry.
- Use a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to wipe the ultrasonic mist chip found inside the water tank.
Deep Clean Every Month
Cleaning is a necessary step to ensure that oil residue doesn’t build up in your machine preventing it from working properly. Periodically, it is a good idea to run your diffuser through a cleaning cycle. If you use your unit every day, then running a cleaning cycle monthly is a good idea. To do so, do the following:
- Fill your diffuser half way with clean water.
- Add 10 drops of white vinegar.
- Let the diffuser run for about 5 minutes to allow the water-vinegar mixture to disperse throughout the unit and clean it.
- Drain the diffuser completely.
- Using a cotton swab dipped in vinegar, clean the tight spots and corners of the diffuser.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe the diffuser and dry it thoroughly.
Why use a diffuser to get benefits from essential oils?
The sense of smell can elicit powerful physiologic, mental, and emotional responses. Essential oils are quickly absorbed by the smell receptors, which have a direct link to the limbic system by way of the olfactory nerve. The limbic system is part of the brain that supports a variety of functions including smell, emotions, behaviour, and memory. Some essential oils induce uplifting or invigorating effects, while others are more calming. Diffusion is the simplest method for using essential oils aromatically.
Here are some of my favourite diffuser blends for sleep, head colds, relaxation and motivation.
You might also like this dilution chart for bottles and blends.
If you’d like to get started with essential oil pop over here.