I’ve been on a mission to drastically reduce the chemicals in my home. While I can’t remove 100% of them, I have been giving it a good go the last 6 months.
I feel like there has been a huge shift in mood and energy, so I am definitely sticking to this!
In today’s world we are surrounded by toxins – the air we breathe, the products we use, the things we eat. I am not an expert at this yet, and I still have a long way to go in learning, but I am on the right path.
Endocrine disruptors (scented and artificial smells) are chemicals that can interfere with endocrine (or hormone) systems at certain doses. Any system in the body controlled by hormones can be derailed by hormone disruptors. I felt my hormones were suffering and in turn I wasn’t feeling great or sleeping well.
The use of chemicals in my home was something I COULD control to see if that would help shift a few things.
Here’s a list of the things I have changed/added for more low-tox living
- I threw out my perfumes and made my own. You can read more about that here.
- I ditched candles, reed diffusers, plug-in smelly things and room sprays. I’ve been using the PURIFY essential oil instead (cheaper and smells better anyway!).
- I stopped using a night cream on my face with chemicals. Read what I use now here.
- I switched to a natural deodorant so now I am not putting chemicals on my lymph nodes under my armpits every day.
- I changed my washing detergent to a non-toxic one (pictured above), but I am also waiting on some ingredients to arrive to make my own.
- I threw out all my cleaning products and use the doTERRA On Guard concentrate cleaner in a spray bottle for everything around my home, plus I use it in my mop bucket. It smells so good and is cheap because you only need a tiny bit. I am no longer ingesting chemicals when I spray my kitchen benchtops 6 times a day (because of a house full of boys who eat all day long!). My house is still pretty clean!
- I changed my hand wash to low-tox with antibacterial properties.
- I’ve started using a natural toothpaste which is fluoride free, and has natural whitening properties. You only need the tiniest bit.
- I’ve also upped the use of indoor plants to clean the air. You can read about that here.
I am not spending any more money than I used to. A bottle of essential oil has 250 drops and mostly you’ll need 2-4 drops at any time. It will last for a long time. The KEY is to use less! I just push my trolley straight past all the cleaning aisles and buy my other products only monthly. It’s so good!
Are you ready to start living more low-tox? Then send me a message and I can help you join doTERRA and teach you how you buy, how you use them and I will invite you to my private Facebook group where everything you need to get you started is over there.