I used to love buying room sprays, candles, those plugin scented things, perfumes… Anything that smelt nice.
Then recently I decided it was time I cleaned up the amount of toxins I use around my home. Nothing drastic, just small steps to make sure I was trying as hard as I could to eliminate unnecessary fragrances which were contributing to poor health and unhappy hormones. You can read more about why I ditched fragrances over here.
I switched to using a variety of diffusers around my home and then made my own room sprays.
I still have a nice smelling home, it’s just that the air is now cleaner for everyone.
If you’re stressed, sluggish, cranky and moody, then I guarantee stripping your space of artificial smells will help (and add some indoor plants to clear the air!).
Here’s a room spray recipe to get you started
- 1 tablespoon of bi-carb soda
- 10 drops of essential oil (I use Purify because it’s so fresh!)
- 500ml spray bottle
- Put the bi-carb soda in a bowl and add essential oils
- Mix well (the bi-carb will be lumpy)
- Add about half the bi-carb soda and essential oil mixture to 1/2 cup of water and stir well
- Add the water mixture to your spray bottle
- Repeat 3-4.
- Fill the rest of the spray bottle with water
- Shake well before using
Now spray on whatever you want! No nasties. Spray around your bedroom, mattress, couches, in the car, over the carpet and keep one in the toilet as an air-freshener.
If you’re after some more low-tox recipes I have heaps of posts over here.
If you want to start using essential oils in your life for just about everything, then check out how you buy.